Word of WARNING - Microsoft refund

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
well just to let you guys and girls know about the latest Microsoft software scam.

People have been getting calls from an Asian person saying that they are from Microsoft. they go on to point out that since you bought a new computer you are due a refund.

its a but like the virus scam that was going on in 2013 but this was shut down in the end although it would seem that they have since had another idea to make some easy money.

the 2013 virus scam

so just be careful as to what you do if you get a phone call, imo if microsoft were going to contact a customer they would be doing it via letter i would have thought but microsoft never got rich by giving people money back :)

the best way people have found to get rid of them is to tell them something along the lines of

i have a mac based computer
i have a linux based computer

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I remember the virus scam very well. I was working in PC World as a tech support guy (front desk where people bring their computers), we had an average of 20 a week of them, a lot of people got sucked in by them. If you want to troll them ask them questions such as, when did i buy the computer, and who from. I know most of us are builders and would never buy an off the shelf model, but it could lead to some seriously good trolling.

Oh, and try to record it, we could do with a laugh.

miniCyb3r

Slave to nothing.
|K3| Member
The virus scam happened to my grandparents last year. They got a new computer with Win. 8 and a few days after it was all set up they got a phone call saying that the computer had over 3000 viruses. The guy on the phone said they were from Microsoft and that they should believe him. :K

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
My Bro in laws Mom got a call from someone in India saying her PC had a bunch of viruses that he would fix for $100. She then gave him her CC #. m(

$300 later, she realized it was probably a mistake. She was smart enough to cancel her cards right away, but they hacked her Email and still call her Cell phone 4-5x a week.

Top Bottom