Anyone have any experience with

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
Amd FX8350 cpu issues?

Basically that's my cpu and recently i have been having random restarts when putting the machine under load (running titanfall for example). I've run a diagnostic test and it comes up with "MP Symmetry" failure on at least 4 of the 8 cores.

Thankfully it's still under warranty, so i will be sending it back for a replacement (I've ordered a quad core just to be getting on with). But i just wondered if anybody could shed any light on this for me. It's not overclocked, but i do have the stock cooler on it, not gonna make that mistake again.

Any ideas guys?

PrestoN

sherifolocodoco
|K3| Moderator
70-80 degrees i think
Yeah you really need a new cooler, around 70 is usually when they start underclocking themselves I believe. I'd just recommend a 212 plus.
Well I should say around 70 is where mine used to, phenom ii 970, but yeah, I'd drop the $25 or whatever on a new cooler since i think thats the problem. Even if its not you can just throw it on the replacement and #profit

Last edited:

DamageINC

K3's Useless Admin
|K3| Executive
I don't know anything about that particular chip, but my AMD quad core's recommended max temp is 62c. Once, when i had an issue with a bent pin when swapping coolers, i (very stupidly) booted w/o the cooler on to make sure the the CPU was back in working order. The PC shut down before it even got into windows.

So, it could very well be the temps, especially if it's only shutting down when you're running something that increases the cpu load/temp.

I use a program called core temp, which not only monitors the CPU temp in real time on your taskbar, but it logs your latest high/low, which allows me to see how high it got during a game after i exit out.

Last edited:

Kreubs

|K3|Minecraft Admin
|K3| Executive
Failing an MP Symmetry test means your cores are operating out of sync on shared memory. It would be best to replace the CPU. I can't find any official data, but the max core temp for an 8350 seems to be 65° C, so the core issues may very well be caused by heat damage.

Prime95 will stress test the :poop: out of your cpu and report any potential errors.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
not being funny but you made a big mistake by buying amd in the first place.

from what i remember the bulldozer was not much better than amds last cpu, not enough of an improvement to really upgrade anyway.

60c is the recommend temps that i can find and then it to starts to throttle. as far as coolers go id buy a noctua nh-d14 or the new noctua nh-d15 cooler if it will fit your motherboard and case

animal66

Second Lieutenant
Member of the Year
|K3|Super-Moderator
I received my new cooler today. It's a coolermaster 412s, huge but silent. @pug, i've had AMD for about 14 years now, and this is the first time i've had a problem, they've been very good to me. I upgraded from a quad-core 9500 cpu, so the upgrade was worth it to me, but i totally understand your viewpoint.

Pugsport

Second Lieutenant
|K3| Member
yer man just say bang for buck you would have been better off with intel but if your an amd fan boy then i guess the choice was easy for you lol.

Top Bottom